Since January 2001, the Timonium Optimist Club has conducted our Student of the Month (SOM) project to honor students from area elementary and middle schools.
The SOM Chairman makes arrangements with a different school each month during the school year. There are ten schools in the cycle so that each has the opportunity to recognize an outstanding student every year.
Selection of the student to be honored is left up to the principal and school staff. The club invites the student and guests, including a representative from the school, to a dinner meeting where the student is recognized as Student of the Month.
The SOM project builds self-esteem among the students recognized and fosters goodwill between the Timonium Optimist Club and local schools. Regular press coverage in the Towson Times also makes the public aware of the positive achievements of young people and promotes a positive image of the club.
Students of the Month for School Year 2018–2019
- September 2018 — JEREMIAH WATERS
Villa Maria School
- October 2018 — LESLI RIVAS GONZALEZ
Padonia International Elementary School
- November 2018 — MEADOW MC CARTHY
Hampton Elementary School
- December 2018 — WILLIAM ROWAN
Timonium Elementary School
- January 2019 — GRACE WAGNER, 7th grade
St. Joseph School
- February 2019 — JONA’E FISHER, 5th grade
Warren Elementary School
- March 2019 — ELLIE STANFORD, 5th grade
Lutherville Laboratory Elementary School
- April 2019 — TBA
- May 2019 — TBA
- June 2019 — TBA
Ridgely Middle School
Awards for Student of the Month
- SOM personal plaque to the student
- $25 gift card to Target
- SOM perpetual plaque to the school for public display
- Copy of the Optimist Creed to the student’s parents