As Optimist International’s oldest program, this contest allows young students to gain experience in public speaking and to compete for scholarship awards. Entrants must be under the age of 19 prior to December 31 of the club year, must not yet have gradutated from high school or the equivalent, and must be educated in the United States, Canada or the Caribbean.
Each applicant is required to give a 4- to 5-minute speech on the assigned topic. Club winners progress to the Zone level and then to the District level.
Topic for 2017–2018: Where Are My Roots of Optimism?
Deadline for entry into the Timonium Club contest is Feb.12, 2018.
For more information, contact Tom Snyder (443-473-9609).
- Club competition: Mon., Mar. 19, 2018 at the club dinner meeting
- Zone 6 competition: Thurs., April 12, 2018, at Friendly Farm Restaurant, Upperco, MD
- District competition: April 27–29, 2019 in Ocean City at the Carousel Resort Hotel
- Club level: Medallion and advancement to the Zone competition for top boy and girl
- Zone level: Plaque and advancement to the District competition (expenses paid to Ocean City) for the top boy and girl
- District level: Plaque and a $2,500 scholarship for the top boy and top girl speakers
- Regional level: Mixed gender competition for a $5000 scholarship
- World level: Mixed gender competition for three scholarships -$15,000, $10,000, $5,000
Contest for 2016–2017
Topic: “What the World Gains from Optimism”
Winners from 2016-17: At the Timonium Optimist club competition in March 2017, six boys and seven girls competed in their gender groups. The three winners in each group were:
- 1st: Jack Sullivan, St. Joseph School
- 2nd: Connor Sturniolo, St. Pius X School
- 3rd: Zachary Shrader, St. Pius X School
- 1st: Hannah Winkler, St. Joseph School
- 2nd: Mia Sifontes, St. Pius X School
- 3rd: Rebecca Peace , St. Joseph School
Jack and Hannah represented our club at the Zone competition.